This leading designer / manufacturer of highly innovative aircraft seating products are looking for the very best Senior Design & Development Engineers to join their award winning engineering team.
As a Senior Design and Development Engineer, you are responsible for owning and delivering work packages within the NPD engineering function, achieving on time product delivery and compliance to specifications and customer requirements.
You will work to ensure effective & efficient design and development, including Design for Manufacture & Assembly, cost, weight, reliability and performance.
This is a varied, fast paced role that offers the opportunity for engineers to develop their technical skills in a commercial environment. Success in this role will offer a real opportunity for progression to Lead Engineer and beyond.
* Design & develop discrete elements of the seat system achieving comfort, reliability, performance, aesthetic, cost & weight targets.
* Work closely with suppliers to develop the design, taking into consideration supplier capability and piece cost, as well as identifying & exploiting opportunities for technical or commercial advantage.
* Continually drive the design towards DFM (design for manufacture) and DFA (design for assembly).
* Generate and contribute to the generation of development timing plans, and actively engage in measures to adhere to plan.
* Drive problem solving activities related to design, development, quality, and manufacturing issues.
* Take responsibility for assigned elements of the seat design, ensuring parts and assemblies are designed to achieve an integrated seat and aircraft installation design solution.
* Produce high quality 3D & 2D design definition using Catia V5 and SmarTeam, along with supporting documentation.
* Substantiate designs from a 3D perspective to ensure clash detection and DFA have been evaluated.
* Validate & develop design through evaluation of prototypes where appropriate.
* Perform fundamental engineering hand calculations (including stress and stiffness) to substantiate the design of the product where necessary.
* Liaise with external customers to ensure design requirements are understood and achieved.
* Liaise with certification, stress and structural Engineering teams to ensure designs meet the structural and aircraft airworthiness requirements.
* Support multiple NPD programmes in parallel.
* Apply professional expertise & judgement appropriately to deliver engineering programmes, using own initiative and with minimal supervision, independently identifying issues & risks & proactively coming up with solutions to overcome them, while escalating issues and risks to management in a timely manner when necessary.
* Support the engineering management team in identifying and implementing improvements to engineering processes systems and tools to maximise the efficiency, quality of output and agility of the engineering team.
* Act as a senior member of the engineering team, championing best practice, developing less experienced colleagues and providing effective support to the Lead Design & Development Engineer, deputising when required.
Skills and experience required
* A mechanical engineering degree (or equivalent) achieved at 2:1 or above.
* Experience of working on mechanical product development programmes in a design, manufacturing and test environment.
* Sufficient exposure to the latest manufacturing techniques such as composites, injection mouldings, vacuum forming, castings, forgings, extrusions and machining from solid.
* Demonstrable experience in planning and executing complex activities.
* Demonstrable experience of developing products to high-quality specifications.
* Ability to work under pressure, prioritise and manage conflicting demands.
* Highly adaptable and capable of making decisions in a fast and pressured environment.
* Proficient user of Catia V5, with experience of producing high quality models & engineering drawings.
* Chartered Engineer or working towards Chartership
* Experience in an aerospace seating environment
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Crick, Northamptonshire
To apply for this job please visit www.cv-library.co.uk.